Thursday, May 25, 2017

Mystery Meteors

A  little earlier tonight Sally was looking over the recommended videos on Youtube and I was trying to decide whether to pull a drum hang or wait one more night and crash tonight, and I was busy passing out on the sofa as I was trying to decide. Just as I was melting into the ether I heard Sally say something. She sounded a million miles away and when she said something about meteors I thought I was dreaming, but I came to. One of our guys had just put up a vid saying that out of nowhere we seem to be in the middle of a major meteor shower, only it's not a regularly-scheduled one. Astronomers have been saying since last year that we're going through an unknown debris field, and that's turned out to be true.
 I had to get up and check out livemeteors.com. Right now the meteors are mostly small ones, but they're coming in at the rate of up to ten a minute. Whatever the official rate, it's hard to tell because there are so many coming in at once, as you can see here. It's almost a solid line, only instead of it being one long-duration meteor like the ones coming in two weeks ago, it's made up of many individual ones. Yet again this is new in all the years I've been going to this site. There was one so far tonight that lasted over a minute, but the sheer number of small ones is impressive. A mystery meteor shower. What's next...Lucky Charms in Space?
 I only put up about 150 posts about the Lyrid shower and the one from the tail of Halley's comet, and how the signatures of some of those meteors were massive and unlike any I'd ever seen, and blah-blah, and how some of them were two full minutes in duration and how it was blowing my mind and all, but things that have never happened in my lifetime but are now happening are going to get my attention, and meteors are one of my favorite subjects.
 There's a huge ebb and flow in the number of meteors in a given event, due to the Earth turning and such, and predicting the amount of meteors per hour and when the actual peak is is very difficult. The meteors from Halley's peaked in the southern hemisphere and apparently they had quite a show. They don't even know how to identify this shower; much less predict numbers, but so far it qualifies as a meteor storm, and there's no telling how much it will go up to at peak, or when that will be. I've seen rogue meteors, or meteors that appear coincidentally during a regular shower, but aren't part of it, but I've never seen a rogue meteor shower before, but nothing surprises me much any more. Bring it on. Tomorrow night should be good for viewing, and if it's clear I'd recommend spending fifteen minutes or so outside looking up. It could be a show. Or not. I'll check tomorrow and if it's crazy or anything I'll update. I always say heads-up on these posts and I really do mean it. Recently I've heard some people on Youtube saying basically that for those people who never spend any time looking up at the sky, now would be a very good time to start, and I just couldn't agree more. As the Wiseman Ashby once said, "I get most of my flip-outs from the shy." He knows. Heads-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment