Friday, May 5, 2017

Hallids Update

I'm up late drumming and checking on this meteor shower since the sky cleared. The meteor activity slowed to a crawl during the evening hours. It's still mostly a trickle of little ones, but then with an occasional beast. I just saw one that lasted a full two minutes. Two minutes. It was much more intense than the one I documented below. It was a wide, solid red line so it was a big one. I was going to rewind the video and document it also, but I've misplaced my phone. A two-minute meteor? That's some shit. Until last Summer it was completely unheard of. Most meteors last only a few seconds. Some people will say it's no big deal. It's a HUGE deal.
 I'd just gone outside for a look before I came in and saw it on the computer. It could have been anywhere in the northern hemisphere I guess, but a two-minute meteor could easily cross the US and then some. I went back outside after I saw it but I didn't see another one. I'll keep checking livemeteors.com and outside too. I really want to see one of these monsters. Except for one other example, this is unprecedented. Heads up.

No comments:

Post a Comment