Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Meteor Mystery

I love a mystery. We got one. Right now meteors are pouring in, and no one is sure where they're coming from. It's literally a straight line right now, as the ionized tail of the meteorites is tracked and recorded. It's unreal. Stardust is falling. It would be a great time to do the thing I mentioned a while back, where you lay out a big sheet on the ground overnight, and whatever sticks to a magnet next morning is either meteorite dust or iron oxide dust from an incoming planetary system. Either way you can sell it on Ebay.
 I've mentioned livemeteors.com a million times, but the way it works, besides the visual representation you see here, is it emits a shrill tone every time it detects a meteor. Actually for some reason there are two tones; maybe about a minor second apart. Maybe a stone meteorite causes one tone and metal ones another, but I don't know how that works. Alls I know is I've been hearing those tones so much the last three weeks that I hear them in my head. I should probably figure out the interval on a keyboard just for curiosity's sake, but it doesn't matter. In any case they're coming in so steadily that the two tones are making a constant chord. It's obnoxious unless it's turned way down. I keep it running quietly on the taskbar, and when the tone gets really loud and long I'll click over and check it out. It's nuts. It does make pretty patterns on the screen.
 They've been saying since last year that Earth is passing through a debris field, and it would seem to be true. Space is a big place. They were always running into crazy shit out there on Star Trek, and while what we're seeing on livemeteors probably isn't the Megalons' doing, it's definitely a debris field, and it's thick as molasses. Out of all the videos I've seen, only one has named the source of this current round of meteors. All but one have said it's an unknown debris field, but one guy matter-of-factly stated that these were from the Aquarid meteor shower. The Aquarids do happen at this time every year but they peaked way back on the 6th. What's odd about that video is that the guy was talking about the Aquarids peaking on Friday night, which was almost three weeks after the actual peak, and not only that but the video came out Saturday morning. Why would he put out a video, which was incorrect to begin with, after the fact? I've almost quit questioning things any more. Gotta let a bullshitter be a bullshitter I guess.
 Shooting stars are in my Top-5 favorite things in the world, obviously. I've seen hundreds if not into a thousand or two easily by now, and I still want to see more. Every clear night I walk I lean my head back in an unnatural position to look up, and I try not to walk straight into mailboxes. This latest mystery has been going on a while. About three weeks ago we had the Lyrid shower, and right after that peaked they said we were going through the tail of Halley's Comet. The Leonids and the Perseids are usually the main showers every year, but with breaks of maybe a week in between, there's always some shower going on all year long. In all the years I've been on this site I've never seen such constant meteor activity as I'm seeing this very second, and according to the charts there's nothing going on meteor-wise.
 The only piece of this latest puzzle that's missing for me is that I've yet to see a two-minute meteor. In January of 2016 I saw a huge green fireball that went nearly across the entire sky, but it didn't last but about six seconds or so. Then last Summer Sally and I saw an incredibly slow-moving meteor; at least I think that's what it was, that lasted at least fifteen seconds. So far that's the craziest thing I've ever seen relating to meteors, and I'm really glad there was another witness. That was incredible. Still it's a long way away from a two-minute meteor. There's probably a dozen videos about this very topic right now, and after people click on this site and see all this, there will probably be a dozen more.
This one just now came in, and it's just a little one as of late. A year ago this one would've freaked me out. Actually, a month ago it would've. As of the last three weeks this is nothing. I'm already jaded? That's amazing in itself. Right now I'm having to keep the volume on livemeteors as low as I possibly can, because it's now almost a constant, dissonant, two-note chord. I think it's safe to say that the sky is saturated with meteors right now. I've never seen anything like it, and I'm definitely not alone. Stay tuned. Heads-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment