Saturday, May 27, 2017

Murky Gigs: The Rads

I just saw where the New Orleans band and general bunch of good guys the Radiators (aka the Rads) celebrated 33-1/3 years together. I love the double meaning. Once upon a time there was a bar on Hollywood Blvd. but I can't remember the name. There was a place called the Wrought Iron but I'm pretty sure it was a strip club next door. The Rads played there a lot and I'd go sit in with them on percussion.
 The Rads were one of those bands that did it right. They built a very loyal fan base by touring their butts off. They didn't put all their eggs in the "get a record deal" basket. They let the record companies come to them. They've been popular enough to make a living at music, but they can walk down the street without having to hire bodyguards. Back then they hadn't been together but a few years and weren't all that big yet, so they didn't mind a nobody like me sitting in. Years later though when I found out that my friend Scott Mogge was a huge Radiators fan, and I told him I sat in with them all the time, he was duly impressed. The Rads and the Meters were his guys. Good choices those.
 The reason I say murky is because back then when I was young and stupid (I'm old and stupid now), I thought it was cool to party on gigs. It wasn't ever like I got falling-down drunk on those gigs or was unable to play but I was high enough that I can only remember general things, and usually I remember gigs in great detail. There are a few things I remember. The bar had the typical dark vibe of the day. I remember dark walls and dark furniture. The stage area was small. I remember the drummer playing this funky, homemade electronic drum kit. I remember him wiring up triggers to a bunch of stuff on a little table, and banging on it. It was actually pretty cool, and real percussion went very well with it. They played with a lot of feeling and Funk and that was right up my alley. I see why Mogge was into them.
 They always had a good crowd but I knew they were on the road and all, so I never let them pay me a penny although they tried. I said they were good guys. There were other perks though. They had the coolest band shirts going, and they kept me outfitted in the latest Rads wear. They usually comped my bar tab and sometimes we'd go out for a late dinner afterwards and they'd usually pay. I think I enjoyed every minute of it. I learned how to adapt to working with an unconventional drummer and how to play without stepping on toes. For all the times I've said that this town, for its size, is the most godforsaken music town in America, I'd have to say that I got the best hands-on musical training here as I could've wanted. My time with the Rads may have been a bit murky but I really benefited from the experience. I got to hear their tunes before they were officially recorded, either live or on advance cassettes. It wasn't a big deal then, but looking back that was pretty cool.
 At some point I lost touch with the guys, and that part is murky too. The bar closed, and I got busy elsewhere. I did my thing and the Rads went on to semi-fame and fortune. I wish I'd kept in touch. I never even went to see then again but I was proud of them. I'm sure they've gone through personnel changes over the last 33-1/3 years, but when I looked at their latest band photos I got the impression that at least a couple of the original guys were still there, but I can't say for sure. I should look them up but I don't know if they'd remember me. Surely one or two of them would. I bet they'd let me play on their next recording, especially if I said I'd do it for free. I'd do it for free. In any case I'm really happy for them. Way to go, boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment