Sunday, August 15, 2021

Great Sets from Old Movies

My friend on YouTube was at it again with her Movie Noight last night. She picked a couple of old British horror flicks, including the one this scene is from- "Island of Terror" from 1966. I was almost surprised it was in color. It had Peter Cushing, so you knew it was going to at least be decent. For my money, the more cheese the better. 

 The inhabitants of a small town on one of the British Isles had a bit of a problem. Someone or something was killing people, and not only that but their bones were turned into jelly basically. That was an interesting premise. A doctor and an investigator or whatever went to investigate, and of course they needed a proper scientist, so they paid a visit to the "Scientist Man," as Frank Zappa sang in the classic song "Cheepnis," about B-movies just like this one. 

 I had to grin, and grab a screenshot of his pad. This takes me back. I was still a tyke back when this came out but I remember furnishings just like this. I don't know what it's called exactly but I call it the "Architectural" style, with everything having cool shapes and sharp lines and such. This isn't even half of the room. You could put a kid through school if you had all the stuff in his house and could sell it on eBay. I believe the message here is that being a scientist is a good gig. 

 Speaking of good gig, before the Bud Greene band imploded from substance abuse (of course), we were making really good money, and were about to make the leap to making even more. A few bands were pulling in the equivalent of $8-$9K from the door, and we were better than most of those bands. I was designing a house in my head that my dad would draw the plans for, and I planned to have at least one room all in early-70s decor. 

 I wouldn't mind having an alternate living room just like this one, minus the ceremonial masks I'm afraid. Dig those lamps, and the sectional sofa with matching coffee table. Far out, man. Dig the wifey in the next room. Maybe it's his girlfriend or his mistress but in British movies back then she was probably his wife. Maybe she was his secretary, or even a scientist too. I didn't find out. Maybe she was "The Chemistry lady with the roll-away mind," as Frank also sang. In any case she was hot, and seeing the shadow of her getting dressed in the next room while he's pouring cocktails totally makes the scene. Gimme that over CGI any day. That's style. 

 She came out and she had on a nice sleeveless silk dress that wanted to open up just above the cleavage. They settled-in on the sofa, making small talk and enjoying their drinks. She was giving all the signs and he was reading them. He was just about to get a hot piece of English tail, and she was about to take one for the team, when there was a knock at the door. Timing is everything, and it wouldn't have been proper to show coitus in a British film from the 60s anyway, and Jello-bones got the call over a fine piece of ass, and helped the plot along. I guess she sipped her drink and turned on Top of the Pops. 

 Not long after he left to go to the island to find out what was turning people into blobs in three-piece suits, and left the missus all alone on the sofa, I crashed and missed the end of the movie. I'm about to finish watching it, but, SPOILER ALERT: I've already seen the monster. It's a green, wet, wartish blob being pulled around on a dolly, with a long, squid-like appendage coming out from the middle of its forehead I guess. It ends in a pointed, spade-like apparatus that's apparently what does all the damage. If anything major should happen, or if they show another groovy room, I'll update. I reckon they'll kill the blob eventually. It's a shame about all the deaths. If I were scientist guy I'd grab some flowers and go home and knock them boots immediately. But science (SCIENCE) comes first. I get it. Nice pad.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment