Friday, October 23, 2020

Oingo Boingo

Some years back I talked a time or two here about how whenever I wore one of my Boingo shirts in public it'd always start a conversation. People would come up to me and we'd trade Boingo stories. It happened every time. I wish I could remember them all, but one stands out. 

 A guy came up to me and told me a story about when they played at his school. He and some friends went to pick up Elfman and company at the airport. On the way to the hotel they asked Danny if they were going to play "No Spill Blood." It's based on "The Island of Doctor Moreau," and features animal sounds that were originally sung by the drummer and triggered from a keyboard.

 Sampling technology was in its infancy then, and Danny told them that the tapes were messed up and they couldn't play the song that night. The guys were really disappointed, until the dude came up with an idea. He told Danny that they knew the song by heart, and jokingly suggested that he let them sit-in that night and do the parts live. He said Danny got a big smile on his face and said "Sure, why not!" They got to sit-in with the band that night and make animal sounds. What a thrill that must've been. I love it. 

 There's so much I love about Oingo Boingo- Danny's amazing voice and almost-unheard-of vocal range, the incredible drumming of Johnny "Vatos" Hernandez, the sheer musicality of the entire band, the fact that they couldn't be pigeonholed (which actually worked against them), the tight-ass horn section, the brilliant, brilliant guitar playing of Steve Bartek, the songs, the energy, the amazing fans, the artwork and much more...I loved it all and still do. They were classified as "New Wave" I guess, but their music is timeless and the songs could've been written yesterday. I've heard that the name Oingo Boingo is Japanese slang for "bouncing boobs" but I'm not sure that's true. It would certainly fit.

 The first time I saw them was here in town. A friend who knew me well insisted that I go to the show and said I'd really love them, and he was right. Believe it or not REM opened for them. Obviously REM was just getting started, and nobody knew who they were. Boingo fans were extremely loyal, and no less that the Chili Peppers were booed off the stage when they played before Boingo. Luckily the fans here were more polite, but they were anxious to see who they'd come to see. I'd heard maybe one Boingo song at that time, probably "Weird Science" from the movie. When I sat down in my seat I wasn't yet a rabid Boingo fan for life (a Boingoloid), but that was only moments away. I was sitting dead-center and maybe six rows back. Any closer and I'd have been turned into Jello.

 They took the stage and I mean they took it. Elfman's face was painted green. I knew I was in for a treat. The venue only sat maybe 300 or so, but they played like a million people were in the audience. They were the loudest fucking band I've ever heard before or since. The first song literally blew me back in my seat. It was so loud I had to run into the restroom and grab some paper towels to stuff in my ears. By the second song it was all over and I knew I'd found gold. They're still my favorite band. 

 I couldn't believe what a powerful drummer Hernandez was, yet he played with great finesse and he had a beautiful touch. He slammed the shit out of his drums but he was incredibly musical. No other drummer could've powered the band like he did. He had two snare drums on his kit, and that was a very good thing. His side snare was basically a big marching snare. Sometimes he'd alternate backbeats between it and his main snare. It was a great effect. 

 He had a female drum tech and she watched him like a hawk the entire show. She had to. He broke the head on his main snare three times, which is incredible. Normally I'm not a fan of drummers who slam their kit, but again he was so musical. When he'd break a head he'd switch to the side snare for the rest of the tune, while his tech would run up and switch the main snare for another just like it, and then change the head on the first one. She had to hurry because they never took a break and went straight into the next tune for the whole show. They didn't lack for energy. I happened to have the exact model snare- a DW solid brass snare, so that was cool.

 At one point he raised both sticks above his head and prepared to knock the fuck out of the drum. I was thinking "Oh, shit" as he prepared to slam it. He came down with both hands on the drum and he hit it so hard that some of the hardware came flying off. I couldn't believe it. I'd accidentally rolled mine down a deep flight of wooden stairs and it didn't put a scratch on it. He knocked the lugs and snare mechanism off of his and they went flying into the air. I was gobsmacked and I immediately looked at his tech. Her eyes got really big and she couldn't believe it either. She sat there with her mouth open for a second and then went to replace it. That was unreal. Vatos just laughed. 

 I was working at the crazy restaurant when we found out that Boingo was calling it quits after 17 years and were doing three "farewell" shows in LA. Back then not only did I have money but I was dating a travel agent. As soon as I found out she told me she'd get us cheap flights, and I immediately got on the phone to try and order tickets, but they sold out all three shows in 15 minutes. Rats. At least I got it on DVD. VHS actually at first, but later I got it on DVD. It was pro-shot and one of the best concerts you'll ever see on film. 

 At a show in Atlanta a bunch of us from the restaurant drove over to see them. I forget the venue but I remember our parking space. The parking was underground, and you had to drive several blocks past the venue to enter the lot and then double-back. We were slowly driving along, looking for a spot as I was trying to gauge how far we'd come and how close we were to the venue. All of the sudden a spot caught my eye.

 We were about to pass it so I yelled "Park here!" I think Elizabeth was driving the car I was in, but whomever it was wheeled toward the spot. "Why this spot?" she asked. "You'll see" I replied. When we pulled in they saw the graffiti I'd noticed from a distance. It said "FLAMING ASS-BITING SHIT DOGS FROM HELL." We all died laughing. It was the perfect spot. Great show it was, starting with our parking spot. Good times. 

 Earlier tonight I was in a chat and they were talking about Biden. I commented that his favorite song was "Little Girls" by Oingo Boingo. A couple of people caught it and lol'd, but then a sister named Dana replied to me. She mentioned Elfman, and said she still carried her Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo membership card so I knew she was legit. I said something about "Blah-blah...it's great to meet another Boingo fan!" She agreed and put up a bunch of hearts and stuff, and we chatted for a while. 

 I told her I'd seen five shows. She told me that she'd hardly missed any shows unless they were playing in Europe. Touche. I told her I still had half a dozen Boingo shirts. She told me that Elfman tossed her his stage-worn Boingo tank top, which she put into a plastic bag. I had to tip my cap to her again but it was fantastic. Boingo fans were faithful to say the least. I told her I had a cat named Boingo, so I was at least able to get some bonus points. We had a great chat and I'm sure we'll talk more. 

 I'm guessing she lives in LA, since that was their home base and where they played the most, but they played all over the country, so I guess she "did the tours." They were huge in LA, but oddly enough they had a pocket of serious fans right here in the 'Ham, Alabam. As much as I've trashed this town I have to give credit where credit is due. It was the same story with Buckingham Nicks, so much so that on their brief farewell tour, before they joined Fleetwood Mac, they added a show here. Two incredible bands, as different as night and day, and they both had huge fan bases here and in LA. Amazing.

 Boingo broke up a quarter-century ago, but it's great to see there's still so many true fans. Elfman went on to become a zillionaire scoring films. He says he'll never do a Boingo reunion, although Vatos and several original members still do shows as "OB Dance Party" (I think) and the shows are well-attended. Danny gave his full blessing, and it's hoped that one day he'll show up and sit-in with them. People would go apeshit. 

 It's always great to meet a Boingo fan, and it's an instant bond. Whomever it was who knew me well and insisted that I attend that first show, I can't express my gratitude enough. BTW the image above is their mascot- Smokin' Elvis. I love that logo, and if I ever get a tat it'll be that. RIP, but Viva Boingo! Thanks to all for the memories.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment