Sunday, July 25, 2021

Superstitious?

Several times in live chats on YouTube I've been called "superstitious" because I believe in God. I just have to laugh because obviously these people don't know me from Adam, understandably so, but anyone who does know me knows that I'm the least-superstitious person you could ever meet. In fact I fuck with people who're superstitious. Maybe that's a bit mean, but logically it shouldn't be.

 If a black cat crosses my path I'll try to pat it. Give me a ladder and I'll walk under it. I have to say here that I've done it a few times for people who can't believe I'd do it, and from the look in their eyes I can tell that they really do think that I'm crazy. I don't get it. Nothing ever happened to me, knock on wood, ha-ha, except that I got a kick out of fucking with superstitious people.

 I'd walk under a ladder and they'd literally start looking around...I guess for the Jinx Monster, almost automatically covering their heads and waiting for something bad to happen, and probably deciding to never speak to me again because I was a lunatic. It was like being in a bad play or something. They were certainly a bit more superstitious than some, but it was very real to them, and it's amazing how many people aren't far off from that. "Why would you tempt fate?" I've been asked. Huh?

 I know someone who'll drop what they're doing, get a weird look on their face and get up and find a piece of wood to knock on if you say "Knock on wood," and that look won't go away until they find some wood to knock on. It's a bit spooky actually, especially considering that they claim not to believe in anything they can't see, hear or touch. Uh-huh. Obviously there's an exception for the Jinx Monster. Here's a clue to life in general: it's one of the rare times you'll ever see a narcissist drop their "mask," when superstition kicks-in. 

 Sometimes at the crazy restaurant I'd "accidentally" spill some salt around people I knew who were really superstitious. I'd go about my business while they'd stop cold and look at me, with a look of deep concern on their faces. I'd just keep doing what I was doing and let it drag on in silence, until finally they'd say "Aren't you going to throw a pinch over your shoulder?" "Nah, not this time" I'd say, or something like that. They'd look at me like I had three eyes, and be on pins and needles for the next two hours. 

 Was I being a mean asshole? Well, I can be mean I'm sorry to say, and I can most definitely be an asshole, but in general I'm not a mean person at all. I was hoping maybe they'd think about what it was they were so curiously afraid of, but again all it did was make them think there was something wrong with me. All I can say is that the fear wasn't in my eyes (that would be levity). And that's exactly what it is- fear. 

 I got to pondering on the root of the word and where it came from. "Super" basically means "above," "over" or "extree," but I couldn't figure out "stitious." It sounded like "stitches," like maybe it meant "wrapped up in stitches of bullshit," but I kinda figured that wasn't it. Turns out Wiki wasn't sure either. Here's an excerpt:

 While the formation of the Latin word is clear, from the verb super-stare, "to stand over, stand upon; survive", its original intended sense is less clear. It can be interpreted as "‘standing over a thing in amazement or awe",[15] but other possibilities have been suggested, e.g. the sense of excess, i.e. over scrupulousness or over-ceremoniousness in the performing of religious rites, or else the survival of old, irrational religious habits.[16][17]

The earliest known use as a noun is found in PlautusEnnius and later by Pliny, with the meaning of art of divination.[18] From its use in the Classical Latin of Livy and Ovid, it is used in the pejorative sense that it holds today, of an excessive fear of the gods or unreasonable religious belief; as opposed to religio, the proper, reasonable awe of the gods. Cicero derived the term from superstitiosi, lit. those who are "left over", i.e. "survivors", "descendants", connecting it with excessive anxiety of parents in hoping that their children would survive them to perform their necessary funerary rites.[19]

According to Michael David Bailey, it was with Pliny's usage word Magic came close to superstition; and charge of being superstitious were first leveled by Roman authorities on its Christian subjects, in turn early Christian writers pronounced all Roman and Pagan cults to be superstitious worshiping false Gods, fallen angels and demons and it is with Christian usage almost all forms of magic started being described as forms of superstition.[20]

 Since most people think Wiki is the Gospel Truth 100% of the time, I used their definition. As I read about "irrational and unreasonable religious beliefs," sure enough I saw the tie to religion, although I see no reason to have ever assigned religious beliefs to it, or some deity, except of course for the Almighty Jinx Monster. The excerpt went on to say that the meaning did come to encompass a little more of what my definition is, kinda-sorta. It mentioned Fallen Angels (Bingo). 

 Cicero's definition about the "left over" thing is quite interesting, but I find the first known use (as a noun), "Art of divination" much more interesting. It really is almost like some sort of spell is on these people. The look of confusion and fear on their faces is very real, and to me it's unnatural. It's different than being afraid of something real. Is it fear of the Boogeyman? So the basic definition that's mostly agreed-upon is "Standing over a thing in amazement or awe." I can sorta see that definition I guess, but mine is: "Being afraid of stupid bullshit that isn't even real." Pliny, Cacero, Palutus and the rest of y'all...eat your hearts out. And BTW...special mega-bonus points go out to the term "super stare." What a great name for an Emo band. I might have to use it. "Dibbs," lol.

 So, yes, I believe in God, and Satan too. You can call me stupid, crazy, uneducated, misguided and even a "hater," but you damn sure can't call me superstitious. Just show me a ladder and I'll prove it. Have a nice day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment