Monday, July 19, 2021

Shots Fired 5

Well, no sooner than I put up a post about some gunfire that happened a few weeks ago, here comes another round. This time I'll blog it sooner. In fact it's now the next day. It was really loud and really close, but I couldn't tell what direction the shots came from. 

There were 13 rapid-fire pops, maybe from a .45 semi or something. Whatever it was it was high-caliber. They were all perfectly even and shot with purpose, if that makes sense. It was like someone sending a message, because usually you don't need 13 shots unless you're up against a crowd. 

 I expected to see blood and guts this morning but I've heard nothing. Much to my amazement the place wasn't swarming with cops. I saw one unit pull in and I saw a flashlight beam a couple of times but it didn't seem like it was that big of a deal. It was to me. I've watched enough cop shows to know that when someone fires off that many shots in a row, either they're totally insane and wasteful or they have an agenda, and usually it's the latter. Whatever the case may be, even one shot is too many, but 13...that's overkill. 

 After a minute or two I went out onto the deck to see if I could see anything. I'd been outside most of the evening already but had gone inside and was just about to walk back out when I heard the shots. They weren't leftover fireworks BTW. Believe me I've shot plenty of both and I know the dif. Even my mom noticed and she's 94, and had the TV cranked, to a Western, with John Wayne and James Arness. How's that for irony, not to mention the ability to tell real gunfire from TV gunfire? I was amazed, but she's still sharp. 

  Even the dog could tell. I wouldn't let him out with me when I first went to look around, ha, or to "Blickum" as they apparently say, in German. He was wanting to go out badly, and from time to time he'd give a low growl, and that's his "Something's up, and it's not another dog" growl. It means "stray human." I can see clearly well over a block away even at night, and I saw nothing. There's a stand of trees and a drainage crick behind the place that not only helps preserve what's left of my sanity but also forms a formidable barrier at night, from the other direction, but there's a lawn area in between, and someone could get to it from this side and hide behind a tree. You just never know, and when guns are involved all bets are off. 

 So somebody going "POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW POW" barely raises an eyebrow these days, huh? I didn't even notice any of the neighbors' lights come on. Maybe they were all hiding under the covers. That's one good thing I have- I don't live in fear. If I'd lived in fear all my life I certainly wouldn't have gotten into a tenth of the wild shit I did get into, and even a crazed gunman isn't going to change that, although granted it straight-up sucks. You can keep this urban-jungle bullshit. Fuck me, man...maybe I'll do a Rap song. Gotta laugh. Have a safe day. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment