Thursday, April 22, 2021

Something I've Got to Try: The Auric Illuminator

[ ]Rarely do I endorse something before I've tried it, but this stuff sounds like it could be the best fifty bucks you ever spend, that is if you still listen to CDs or DVDs. The name alone is cool enough but supposedly it's nothing short of incredible. It consists of a special pen with light-absorbing ink, and a gel that allows laser light to enter and leave the disc more easily by cutting down on the scattering of light. You make a thin stripe with the pen on the inner and outer edges of the disc, which would be equivalent to the lead-in and lead-out grooves on a vinyl record. You coat the very inside and outside edges with the gel. If nothing else it makes the CDs look badass. They look rodded-out with black pinstripes. They say it works too. They say it's legit as shit. [ ]One guy said he cried after hearing the difference in his CDs. He A/B'd a treated CD against an mp5 copy of a vinyl recording on a Mac, and he couldn't tell the difference. That's impressive, and I'd never heard of an mp5 before. I'm assuming there's little or no compression with an mp5. He was literally going to spend $6,000 on a new CD player, but after treating his CDs he decided he didn't need it. The stuff costs $49 plus tax and shipping, so he saved roughly $5,940. Not a bad return on a non-investment as it were. Just to make sure he wasn't tripping he called his go-to stereo expert to bring over his "reference" CDs which he uses to test stereo systems. One was the soundtrack to a musical and the other was the Rambo soundtrack. That's funny, but apperently it's this well-recorded orchestral score that will really test a system. His preamp alone cost 50K, so it's probably safe to say he knows what good sound is. [ ]The guy treated the Rambo CD and his buddy freaked-out. He thought he'd been tricked and was looking around for hidden equipment. It completely blew his mind to hear the difference that basically drawing on the edges of a CD made. He demanded to know what the product was, expecting it to cost ten times as much. It does sound like a pittance if it's as good as they say it is. He said it was akin to reducing wow and flutter on a tape deck, or tracking-issues on a turntable, which is a good analogy. It makes sense. Any light interferes with laser light, causing it to scatter and become less focused. It's science (SCIENCE). I love it when science (SCIENCE) comes in to save the day. Dude went on and on about the stuff and had to make himself quit once and then started up on it again, and the video was mainly about the $6,000 CD player. It didn't even mention the stuff in the title. I was clickbaited on finding how the hell a CD player could cost six grand, but I'm really glad I found out about this stuff because I want some. [ ]It workd on DVDs too apparently, although I haven't heard that talked about but I'll check it out. Just for CDs alone it'd be great, but if it improves DVD quality anything like it apparently does for CDs, then that's a great bonus. It treats, or "enhances," according to the website, 200-400 discs, which is less than two bits per, even at low range. I'm surprised it doesn't cost a lot more, except that maybe CDs and DVDs have been largely replaced by streaming. I still like the physical products. For one they aren't compressed, and if the power is out you can still listen to CDs on a battery player (using rechargeable batteries and a solar charger of course). I don't have a stereo rig, much less a 50K preamp, but the difference should be noticable with good headphones. [ ]What a simple and logical idear. You might get similar results using a Sharpie and clear nail polish, but for $50 why fuck around? CDs are way more fragile than what they were touted to be when they first came out. The guy I recently mentioned who owns a record store in Hong Kong, and who rated the sound of vinyl as vastly superior to CDs...I wonder if he knows about this stuff. Someone should hip him to it. I'm still bummed after seeing that chart, and how much of the original sound is lost between the master tapes and the final products, especially CDs. Even a little bit of improvement would be huge, and a dramatic change should be a downright thrill. If it made dude cry to hear the difference in his CDs then it must be damn-sure worth $50. I gotta have it. I recently got all six seasons of Northern Exposure on DVD, and some of the scenery is beautiful. If it made that look better on the big Vizzio I'd love it. But CDs are the deal. [ ]I gotta try this stuff. Dude claims that ordinarily the laser beam can stray a lot, causing distortion. I watched a bit more of the video to see if by chance he tested it on DVDs but he didn't, but he was still going on about the stuff. He said it didn't sound like a digital copy of vinyl, it sounded like VINYL. I don't know what the dude in Hong Kong would have to say about that, but I'd sure love to test it out. Dude was so into it that I thought he was going to pop a woody, and then when Mr. Stereo came over and he freaked out too...I bet they both had boners. I can see getting a boner for vinyl...the aroma alone does it for me, but rarely do you hear of people getting boners over ordinary CDs, even Rambo CDs. Well, I take that back...some guys do get boners for Rambo CDs, but that's different. [ ]Dude said the stuff was so great that he wanted to peddle it in the streets, just so people could find out about it. I can dig that, and I'm taking him at his word. It's a steal. Boners for CDs? I'm in. Heck, if I ever run across a Rambo CD at the thrift store I'll snag it right up.

No comments:

Post a Comment