Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Skull Ring (with Mods?)

[ ]When I was a little kid I had a skull ring and I loved it. It was shiny steel or whatever and it had red rhinestone eyes. I don't remember where I got it but I had it a long time. I've always halfway wanted to get another one and I search occasionally They're either too expensive or gaudy. So many of them have Day-of-the-Dead or Egyptian scrollwork, or are trying to look mean, as if a skull needs that, or are stylized or whatever. It's amazing how so many people can take something so elegant as is and completely fuck it up. I just wanted a simple skull that was somewhat anatomically-correct, and didn't cost a fortune. [ ]I found this one for a steal on eBay. It came from Thailand and took a while to get here but for the price it was well worth the wait. He's .925, with purplish stones that I guess are fake rubies. He's actually making a bit of a face, with his right eyebrow down, which is exactly the same face I make when my Bullshitometer goes off or someone farts or whatever. It's very subtle and you almost don't notice. I dig it. [ ]I got it as a pinkie ring, but it's about half a size too big, and not big enough for my ring finger. I have duct tape on it now but I need to get it resized. I'm guessing it's probably around three grams of silver, giveth or taketh, and it's hollow behind the skull. I was wondering what else I could do to it, if anything, as long as it was getting resized, if I can do that easily. Short of replacing the stones with real rubies, which would cost 20X more than the ring itself, I was thinking how cool it would be to somehow make it glow, and I may have an idea. I bought my first Luminox watch back in around 1994, and I've bought another one since. They're dive watches and excellent quality to begin with, but what makes them special is that they glow in the dark, but not like traditional paint, and they don't ever have to be charged. [ ]The numbers, the tiny dot on the movable dial and the hands are fitted with tiny glass tubes filled with Tritium gas. Tritium is radioactive, which accounts for the glow. It glows completely on its own for around 25-30 years. It has a half-life of around 12.5 years, and the glow gradually fades after that. That should hold me until well-after I'm dead, at the rate this world is going anyway. It looks badass in the dark. The numbers and second hand glow green, and the minute hand and dot on the dial are orange. Having the minute hand a different color makes telling the time in the dark a breeze. The tubes are tiny. The one in the dot is maybe 2mm, and the one on the minute hand is maybe 5-6mm. The glass tubes must be sealed while the gas is pressurized, plus they're tiny, so the process is fairly complicated and expensive. [ ]I was wondering if they sold plain Tritium tubes and sure enough they do. I checked eBay first, and a single tube less than half an inch long and 2mm wide is going for around $35 with shipping. All the ones I saw came from China. Maybe China is the Tritium capitol of the world. Then I remembered a place called Aliexpress. They sell everything for really cheap. They have the same thing for about $18 shipped. It's 12mm in length, and I'll have to measure but I think it would just fit in the hollow part, and right behind the eyes. If it's too long I could get two smaller ones, but I think it just might squeeze in, and I'm sure a jeweler could add a fitting or just glue it in. Heck I could probably do it myself with some UV-glue or something. Actually it'd be best to tape it in place with a piece of thin metal tape. There's a gap on either side of the jaw where light would show through, and tape would fix that. The amount of radiation is miniscule, and certainly waaaaay less than your phone, but that would take care of any stray juice. [ ]This ring really isn't all that much cooler than the one I had when I was a kid, although it's sterling. Having a ring with eyes that glow in the dark...now that'd be some shit, and for less than $20, why not? It'd have tripped me clean out if I'd had s skull ring with glowing eyes when I was a kid, and I'm sure I'd still dig it now. If I got it modified with glowing eyes, alls I'd have to do then would be to find somebody groovy that I could show it to...in the dark...but I'm just a-dreamin' again. Oh, well...cool is cool, and being a badass by yourself is better than not being a badass at all I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment