Thursday, February 4, 2021

English as Second Language?

[ ]The next-door neighbors are from El Salvador. They're as nice as they can be but after at least 25 years living in the States they barely speak a word of English. I'm not putting them down for one second; I just don't get it. They're super-nice and always a pleasure to engage, only there's very little communication verbally. In a way it's really cool because it's fun to have to find other ways to get a point across, but I don't understand how they haven't absorbed enough English through osmosis to be able to hold a simple conversation. [ ]It's especially odd considering their daughter, who's in her early-20s, speaks fluent English with barely any accent. I know they've been here at least as long as she's been around because she told me she was born here. A bit over a year ago she got married, had a baby and moved out but for over a year after we moved in she lived with her folks and I saw her nearly every day. I heard her translating all the time and I had to wonder how her folks weren't picking any of it up just from repetition. The mom can speak a little bit of English. She's an amazing cook and every few days she cooks up a batch of their traditional food, and for the next two hours people will drop by to buy a plate or two. It has to be a good gig and it probably brings at least an extra couple-hunj a week if not more. [ ]Not long ago her daughter was visiting and I asked her if her mom ever made tamales, and how much my mom used to love them, and a few days later she knocked at the door with a huge plate of real tamales. She'd made a special batch just for us. They've all stopped by several other times with plates of authentic tacos and whatnot. I love having them for neighbors, and not just because of that. They all really love my dog. The mom loves the fact that he always lingers around when she's cooking. Sometimes she grills outside and he really wants to join the party. She knows he's a foodie and she appreciates his appreciation for her cooking. The dad loves him too and always gets a huge grin on his face and stops to pat him. He'll say "Beagle!" That's one of the few words he knows. I love it. Every time we walk by when someone is buying food and the door is open he always tries to go inside, and once or twice he's actually made it in. He's a quick little thing. I can't blame him. I want to go in too. She's an excellent cook. [ ]Again it's no sleight but it's hard to get my brain around. Do they just want to keep their culture pure or whatever, and choose to stay isolated? Is it a brain thing? That seems doubtful but I don't know. They've probably heard a billion or two English words by now. Do they just tune it out? Do they not give a shit? You'd think it'd be an advantage to learn the language of the country where you live, but what do I know? If I moved to El Salvador I know I'd sit my ass down with some translation books first thing. I'd at least learn to say things like "Bottled water" and "Does anyone have any reefer?" and "Are you single, sister?" I think I'd learn enough to get by anyway. I don't think I'd just find a few US ex-pats and only hang with them. When in El Salvador, do as the El Salvadorians do...within reason. [ ]Above all they have a very sweet countenance, and that means a lot to me. They're kind and generous and that translates in any culture. Their daughter picked that up from them and I miss having her around. It doesn't hurt that she's gorgeous either. She reminds me a bit of the girl from Mexico named Mary Jo whom I wrote about a while back. She's friendly and as nice as she can be, and she and my dog are big buddies. He still goes nuts once a month or so when she drops by and he sees her. She calls him by name and stops what she's doing and goes all goo-goo on him. What red-blooded American dog wouldn't love a fine sister all over him? My dog loves it too. [ ]I guess it may just be one of life's mysteries. I do love a challenge when it comes to trying to communicate with them. If it were a question of them not having had formal lessons, which I doubt, I'd be more than happy to give them some, and pick up on some words myself. I do know I'd trade English lessons for some of them tamales all day of the week. In any case, que tengas un buen día.

No comments:

Post a Comment