Sunday, July 16, 2023

Facing Your Fears (rewritten)

I told this story back when it happened, 7 or 8 years ago. A lot of things have happened since then, and people in general are way more fearful these days, so maybe someone needs to hear this. I find that if you put some information out there, no matter what it is, someone is looking for it. 

 For about four years I lived in a place that was right on the Cahaba River, and I used to go down there nearly every day. It was as relaxing as a "don't care" shot from the doctor. Even though I'd often stay until past dark or get there before daybreak, I wouldn't go alone into the woods in the middle of the night, and hadn't since I was 21. 

 I've also told that story before but it's easily the most incredible thing that ever happened to me. To recap, playing a gig leaves you with leftover adrenaline with nowhere to go, after you finish playing. It was impossible to get to sleep right away, without either getting bombed, lying awake until it wore off, or choosing a healthier option if you could find one. Often I'd go to the river and walk around until I got tired. It was a bit healthier than heavy drinking. It also recharged my batteries and kept me in touch with Mother Nature.

 One night I went down to the river around 2am, and encountered a large pack of wild dogs who followed me for about half a mile and literally came within inches of making me a late dinner. Since that night I've been to the river hundreds of times at night, but never once alone, until one night when I decided to grow a pair and go to the river in the middle of the night again. I'm not a fraidy-cat at all but I can pretty much guarantee that if you should ever happen to get chased by a pack of wild dogs, you'll think twice before going into the woods alone again.

 More than that it wasn't really safe to go into the woods alone at night, pre-cellphones. You could fall and break a leg or any number of things. Usually when I'd go when I was younger, I'd stay fairly close to the road, but that night I decided to walk down the trail along the river. I'd usually take a J with me but I'd never go alone if I'd had even one beer. That's not very smart. 

 Anyway until 7 or 8 years ago I wouldn't go into the woods alone. For some reason this night I decided to go for it, and I had the feeling that I was going to see something really cool. There were always many cool things to see day or night, but I had a strong feeling that I was going to see something extra-cool. 

 The staging area was a flat foundation they'd built under a transformer. There was a huge metal halide flood that lit the area up, but as soon as you hit the woods it got really dark, until your eyes got used to it. I was going through my pack and making sure I had everything, and something happened that may have saved me some trouble.

 My phone turned itself off and I had to wait for it to reboot. While I was waiting I looked over to my left and saw a big cat just like the one above, maybe 75' away. It was an Alabama Panther or a Florida Panther, which some think are the same species. They look just the same. I was taken aback but not seriously frightened. It was an impressive sight.

 I have to mention here for the doubters that while panthers are rare in this part of the state they do exist, and they use rivers like we use highways. I've seen a couple of them from a distance in the daytime, as well as several Bobcats. One doubter, who either thinks they're so smart that they know more about a situation by not being there than someone who was there, or that my brain is so fried that I can't tell the difference between a 3' cat and a 16" one, told me that what I saw was a housecat. Nope, sorry. 

 It had climbed all the way up the hill from the river, but I figured maybe it was stalking things around the dumpster, if not possibly eating from it. Cats will be cats, regular or jumbo. Even if I hadn't gotten a clear view of the cat I got a look at its glowing eyes, and that sealed the deal. 

 They were as big as nickels. I've seen possum eyes, beaver eyes, deer eyes, raccoon eyes, dog and cat eyes and more, and they're all much smaller, except for deer's eyes. It was solid gray and I couldn't see any markings. It was nearly three feet long plus tail. It weren't no housecat.

 The one I saw was every bit as big as this one, except it looked maybe just a bit thinner. I could see it perfectly in the light. When it saw me looking at it it turned around and went behind a fallen tree. It stared at me for a few seconds and then ducked away. I thought it had gone. I'm no expert on animal behavior but I'd think that in most situations it would run away. The dumpster was partially in the woods and maybe he'd figured it out and lost a little fear of humans, but again I don't know for sure. Either way he was interested in me.

 My phone rebooted and I waited a few seconds for my eyes to adjust from looking at the screen. I looked back in the direction of the cat, and instead of going away it had come back and had closed the distance to me by about a third. It was crouching behind a rock and staring at me.

 My hair stood up and I could swear I heard that screeching violin sound that you hear in scary movies. I didn't expect it to even be there, much less stalking me. Housecats generally don't stalk people. It startled the shit out of me but I wasn't terribly afraid. I was ready to react if I had to, but there's no point in panicking ahead of time, and animals really can smell fear.

 I didn't think he'd get any closer if I stared him down, but I didn't know that for sure. He could've closed the distance in a flash if he'd wanted to. It was weird enough that the cat was stalking me to begin with, so I took stock of things, Justin Case.

 I had a knife, a lighter, a flashlight, a backpack and a nice walking stick that was made from a sapling that a beaver had kindly cut down and trimmed of bark. I stared at the cat and for a few seconds it stared back, but then it retreated back to the same tree, looked at me and then vanished as before. This time I didn't count on him going away. 

 I stood there thinking "Screw it...oh well, now I know why I don't go into the woods by myself at night." I doubt too many people would fault me if I'd gone back to the apartment. which I definitely considered. I wouldn't want to fight a big cat because for one thing I love animals, but I also wouldn't want to lose. The aforementioned housecat can open up a big ol' can of whoopass if it really wants to. I can only imagine what a cat three times as big could do. 

 I stood there pondering. I could go back to the apt without feeling like too much of a wuss. I'd already stared him down twice. I could smoke the J and marvel at the fact that I was just stalked by a panther, or I could face my fear and go on down to the river. I couldn't shake the feeling that there was really something down there that I was meant to see, so I took a deep breath and headed on down the hill. The hairs on my neck stood up the whole way down, until I reached the water and its narcotic effects. 

 About halfway down I stopped to see if my new friend was still around. I shone my flashlight to the left and sure enough, I saw two big glowing eyes staring at me from behind a log. He was still interested but hadn't closed the distance. Luckily that was the last I saw of him. Godspeed, big cat.

 

I found a nice spot where I could sit against a big tree. I took out my water and fired-up the doob. Once I settled-in and started looking around, I found myself in a magical world. I noticed that the ground all around me was lit up with glowing dots, fading slowly in and out. It was like a galaxy on the ground.

 They were Lightning Bug (or Firefly if you prefer) larvae. They flash like the adults, but for a different reason. The adults glow to attract mates, but the larvae glow to warn predators that they're toxic and bad to eat. They glow a dimmer, bluish color, and they glow for several seconds each time, fading in and out. It was beautiful.

 Then I noticed the adults flying by. The Moon was setting by then so it was really dark, and the Lightning Bugs looked ten times brighter than normal. The river was calm and I could see their reflections as they flew by. It was incredible, and I've never felt so at peace and so connected to Nature. I felt like God was showing His love for me, and whether I was right or wrong I knew I was meant to be there. It was a gift.

 Not only did I face my fears, and it was a real source of fear and not just something in my head, but I also saw one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Maybe I was a dumbass, but I felt like a badass. What a reward. I've never been more at peace. If Heaven is real and anything like that, I'm in. God is good.

  

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment