Saturday, February 24, 2024

Beat It in C Redux and Comments

It hit me this morning that something freaky as fuck had just happened, and I laughed when I remembered that it was that blasphemous version of MJ's Beat It that I heard yesterday. Although a few other notes snuck in here and there, virtually every note is C. I'd never have thought in a million years that something like this could be so mind-bending, and it'd be impossible to describe how horrifying yet beautiful it is. Up until now I've always considered the key of C to be fairly benign. 

 I listened to it again today. It didn't have the impact it had the first two times I listened to it yesterday, and I was actually a bit relieved, but it still tweaked me plenty. I didn't burst into laughing tears again but I felt them coming on. Although not to the same level of comedy and tragedy it was yesterday, I still first cracked up but immediately wanted to weep, and I did get tears. That's nuts.

 They were tears of joy, awe, bewilderment, horror and the sheer power of music that on occasion can screw your brain into the ground. I don't know how this "song" works or how having every note a C can have such an effect, or if there's some back-masking or satanic shit or something going on, but it's absolutely a mind-altering thing, if one can handle it that is. 

 I don't know what the long-term effects of listening to this song might be, because even though it's "natural," it feels like your brain is temporarily altered by some weird drug, like sonic salvia or something. I haven't taken 'shrooms in decades and I'm not about to start, but it almost makes me want to try and find some just to see if I could handle listening to it tripping. It wouldn't be easy. 

 I love reading comments sometimes as much or more than the video or article, and the comments on this song are incredible. Again, I was relieved that I wasn't the only one who had such a startling reaction to it. It was a shared and unexpected experience, like everyone was taking the same weird drug, only it wasn't a drug. Someone should start a fb page, just for this one song. Here's a few of the comments. Dang...copy/paste prints black so I'll have to type them all, and I can't type 10wpm. I'll add my reply to them. 


"This is what music sounds like when you're having a really bad trip." Agreed, and that was my first reaction.

"This song feels like it's hard to breathe." It really kinda does.

"This song makes me feel like I'm screaming and nothing is coming out." Yep, like trying to run in a dream but you can't move forward.

"That's actually not terrible. It's more menacing." Agreed.

"It sounds like a sentient computer is trying to kill you and this is the music that starts playing." That's funny because in one band I was in, our guru Shrader called certain tunes "Music to execute criminals by," and that occurred to me when I heard Beat It in C. Small world. 

"Remember guys, there is a universe out there with everything exactly the same but Beat It sounds just like this." This is a beautiful comment, and believe it or not it's almost certain to be basically true. I'm going to reply to this one. 

"I can hear him trying to change notes but being overpowered by a paranormal force." Yep. It tried to go flat at times and briefly gets another note, but then the "C-Demon" snatches it back to C World.

"They managed to put the feeling of fighting in a dream into a song." Totally.

"This is terrifying because it's better than it should be." Well-said.

"It's like Satan himself told him to beat it." Yes it is.

"HELP ME I'm laughing my ass off. I can't stop, nor can I explain why this is so funny. It's like a never-ending fever-dream loop I can't escape." I hear you.

"I can feel the song trying to break out of the demonic possession of the note C. Brilliant!" Exactly.

"I'm alone in my room laughing in tears, cackling like a lunatic at 4am. This brings profound yet unexplainable joy." Same here. I was laughing and crying at the same time and it flipped me out.

"Imagine 2,000 years later and this is the only music they find about us." Absolutely.

"I'm def hearing other notes but I can't help but feel like I'm hearing some of them in my head. I unironically adore this." Me too.

"This sounds like what it feels like to be awake for three days straight." Very much so.

"Why do I like this? I hope no one ever asks what I'm listening to throughout my day, because this is absurd."  I hear you. No kidding. 

"It's amazing how good this sounds." It is.

"I've heard the original Beat It after hearing all the way through this and I can't explain the sense of relief I just felt." I understand dude. It throws you off your bearings. You'll be okay. 

"As a tone deaf person I cannot notice the difference between this and the original song." If this is a joke it's a good one and if it's serious I feel sorry for them. Either way it's profound.

"This got me rolling on the floor for an hour lmfao." I hear you.

"This makes me nostalgic for how old printers used to sound." Why not.

"Now I gotta go listen to the original to cleanse my brain." Another person who had a bad trip listening to the C-version. You'll be okay too. The effects are only temporary. If not, please seek counselling, and may God bless.

"I think even the ghosts in my house are afraid of this version of Beat It." Probably so. Awesome comment.

"Doesn't sound as bad as I initially thought it would." That's an understatement.

"Even the percussion is in C. Quite impressive dedication." Yep. Good ear.

"It gave me a visceral reaction where I flinched away from my speakers. 10/10, no notes. Thank you." I love this comment and I have a lot of gratitude too. 

"My mind slowly develops a sense of rage as I listen to this. Wonderful." Easy does it, and don't exceed recommended dosage, whatever that is. 

"I am literally crying in the car by myself laughing. The song, the comments. Tonight I lived, and no matter what happens after today I can say I experienced the best entertainment this planet has to offer. 5 stars." This is a kindred spirit, and they mentioned the comments. I agree...this is one of the most profound things I've ever experienced, and I can't believe I'm even saying that. I was taken completely by surprise. I'm so glad this...thing...came into my life. I'll never be the same.

"This is like trying to understand someone talking to you in a dream." Good analogy.

"This actually sounds really cool but in a really weird way. I really like the pitch-shifting artifacting." "Artifacts" was the word I was looking for. Sometimes when Autotune hears harmonics or whatever, it can't decide which note to go to, so it makes new ones in between. I recorded an old Mbira and ran it through Autotune. Some of the keys would go a little sharp or flat as they decayed after being struck, and Autotune bent the notes and slurred them together as if they were played on a guitar, and it was a great effect. In the case of this song, I think the artifact notes make it much better, and by about a minute in, our brains want pretty much any note besides another C, and the artifacts bring relief, sort of like tension-and-release. When the notes go flat it almost makes your head physically sway, and it feels like the tempo slows down but it doesn't. Incredible. Good ear.

"Gradually I began to like this one better." Yep. I've heard the original a million times but I much prefer this version. 

"I think this is the most menacing and terrifying thing I've ever heard in my life." You might be right. God bless. 

"After the 17th attempt to make sense of this lsd trip, I have completely forgotten how the original is supposed to sound like. Excellent work, 10.10." Right on. The original is now just a reference point. 

"This is absolutely terrible in the absolute best way. Thank you." Yep.

"This is genuinely the funniest thing I've ever listened to for some reason." I agree completely. I lost it laughing, and crying too, and I don't understand. It took 66 years to experience something like this. 

 There are plenty more choice comments and I may go over them, but this is enough for now. These are some amazing comments. Almost everyone was well-spoken, and knew how to spell and used punctuation and such, so it's not like the only pome people who had severe reactions to this song are dummies or crackheads or whatever. Yet again, I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one affected by this monstrosity. 

Speaking of monstrosity, I didn't mention the thumbnail image. It's warped in such a heinous way that it seems it would be hard to get even AI to do, and words fail when trying to describe it. It definitely adds to the general unease, if you can stand to look at it. It's brutal.

 I've been bamboozled by the key of C. Already the octave vocals are playing in my head and I love it. This song is really too much. I couldn't have imagined that hearing Beat It in the key of C would be one of the craziest experiences I've ever had, and could alter my brain patterns like some weird-ass drug I should've never thought about taking. I really do wish I could study how this song affects the brain, at least to see what areas light-up with scans, because I just don't get it at all. More research is highly indicated. If you dare, you can listen >HERE. It's only a song. 


No comments:

Post a Comment