Sunday, March 5, 2023

One Main Phobia

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but I was blessed with not having very many of the typical phobias some people have, bless their hearts. I mean, I can think of things I wouldn't want to happen to me, but as far as the usual ones...fear of heights, fear of needles, fear of crowds, fear of farting in public or whatever it may be, I don't suffer from any of those. For the record I'm also not superstitious in any way, although I don't know if that's related.

 I'd say my biggest fear in general is running out of milk. When I hear about farmers being told to dump 30,000 gallons of milk down the drain it sickens me, but that's quite another story. Lately there have been "rotating shortages" of milk, especially organic. That gives me a slight case of the Heebie-Jeebies. 

 I'm into milk to a degree that's almost fucked-up I guess, and I know it's not the healthiest thing in the world to consume every day, but it's certainly not the worst. It's a little bit strange considering that until I was in my early teens I didn't like milk at all.

 I opted for "orange drink" in school instead of milk. That was a big mistake, but I just didn't like milk. Then one day I was visiting my grandmother, and she'd made an amazing chocolate cake. I remembered how many times I'd heard how well a glass of milk goes with chocolate cake, and I thought I'd give it another chance. Much to my surprise I loved it, and the rest is history.

 Not long after I started drinking it, I met a guy named Charlie when I moved to a new 'hood. He was a gymnast and wrestler, and he was into nutrition and stuff before it was cool. He told me that it's good to drink milk with a meal because the nutrient profile complements that of the food. That makes sense, although it doesn't take into account added fat and such. I do know that I crave it like a drug after a meal. 

 I probably shouldn't talk about how I like to chug it until if I took one more sip it'd freeze my throat, or how my eyes roll back in my head when I drink it...that might gross some people out. Go ahead with y'all's almond milk and soy milk and stuff...just leave them cows alone. 

 I was wondering what the Latin term for "fear of running out of milk" was, if there was one. I was hoping that Google Translate might make it into some funny word involving "phobia," but it translated to "ne de lacte." It sounds a bit like "nada lactose," which I guess is about right. "How much milk's in the fridge?" "Nada." That thought is frightening to me, so I guess I do have "ne de lacte." Who knew? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment