Sunday, March 5, 2023

Creating a Language

Not long ago I was talking to my buddy Sam on fb. We were going back and forth and having some laughs, and several other people had joined in. Maybe someone mentioned one of my made-up words or something, but Sam said "You created a language that we still speak to this day, even when you're not here." How cool it was to hear that.

 I never really thought about it, but I guess I did create a language of sorts, or at least injected some terminology. Ever since I was a kid I've been coming up with my own words for things, making up phrases, using different spellings, pronunciations and what have you, and after I started socializing more, especially from the restaurant and band days onward, my friends apparently picked up on some of them and incorporated them into their own speech patterns. I guess that's how it works. 

 I do know that when I see some of my old friends, certain words that I created will come out. For instance, whenever I run into Anna or Cay, I know for a fact they'll say "Hey, Figgeet!" It's etched in stone. I saw my old colleague Hank this past Xmas, and as he has for the last quarter-century, said "You Hosehead!" and I replied "You Hoser!" It will always be that way. 

 Sam or Andrew would say "Habatchee there, Figgeet," and I'd say "Habatchee" back. Whenever I see Randy or O', one of us will say "Ree..." and the other will reply "Fer." You can bet on it. If I ran into Kimberly or Elizabeth, it's 100% guaranteed they'd say "Stickeemonin!" Ha-ha, it's true. Lots of these terms came from interactions with friends, so they get credit too, but I did create a language, I guess you could say. Right on. 

 Everybody wants to leave a legacy of some kind, whether good or bad. It's certainly nothing of importance, and maybe a bit juvenile, but I suppose "creating a language" isn't a bad legacy. It gives us a laugh, and laughter is truly the best medicine, and it's a fun way to start the conversation after we haven't seen each other in a while. It's cool to know that people speak it even when I'm not around. I'm honored. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment