Saturday, June 8, 2019

Inside the Mind of a Young Artiste

I love kids' art. Who doesn't? Taking a peek into the sweet, innocent world of children is a joy. It's funny how many grownups (including myself, allegedly) try to emulate kids' style and fail miserably. It can't be done.
 I think that once a kid stops drawing houses with the chimney sticking out at a 45-degree angle, a certain phase of childhood is over. I always wanted to have a house that looked like a kid drew it, with wonky windows and a 45-degree chimney. That would be so cool.
 Here we have an untitled piece by one Kennedy Stewart. Kennedy didn't sign this piece and that's a shame, but the name is on the back and I'm assuming it's the artist in question. I paid a buck for it. 99 cents actually. It was worth every penny. I'm going to give it the working title of "Bark Worse than Bite." Let's analyze young Kennedy's painting.
 First there's a lot of orange in the painting. It's a perfect background color both in terms of compatibility with the color of the dog and people, and perfect for illustrating the urgency of the situation. The use of lines to indicate motion and the energy of the bark is fairly advanced. I suppose Kennedy just ran a few lines together on the person in front. That, or they're crapping their pants. I'd say that the person in back has a ponytail and is likely a girl, but the person in front has two. Could it be pigtails? It looks like dog ears. Could it be a "dog person" perhaps? I guess only Kennedy knows for sure.
 I really love the side-by-side ears and I actually remember doing the same thing on my drawrings as a kid. Of course a grownup artist would show them in the proper perspective; one behind the other. Ho-hum. It makes the dog look a million times more badass. Since there are no motion lines near the dog, we can assume that thankfully he isn't chasing the people. He is scaring the shit out of them though. That's a righteous bark. I notice the two dots over the tail. I wonder what Kennedy meant by that. Is it a limited-motion deal? It looks like a umlaut.
 All in all I think Kennedy did a beautiful job on this painting. It's a shame the family didn't recognize Kennedy's artistic skills. I'd have had it framed. I'm glad to own a Kennedy. Best 99 cents I ever spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment