Friday, November 12, 2021

The African-American Ice Cream Kid

This is the iconic "Ice Cream Kid" from the cover of one of the Grateful Dead's live albums, Europe '72 I think. It was drawn by Stanley Mouse, in collaboration with Alton Kelley, of Kelley Mouse Studios. Back in the day it was one of THE t-shirts to own. Original Ts from back then go for hundreds on eBay. If I had bucks to burn I'd get another one. 

 It's one of my favorite illustrations of all time. It looks like it was done digitally, but of course it was drawn by hand and way before computer graphics was available to the masses. It's extremely well-done. The mouth has an almost Dali-esque thing going on, and now that I understand more about symbolism, it has more meaning than it did before, but above all, on any given day to me it represents my general feelings about the whole damn dumbass human race in general. I may have to pony-up $25 or so for a modern-copy t-shirt. I love it. 

Here we see rapper Travis "My fame was fake, bought and paid for on Soundcloud" Scott, during a videotaped statement/apology to fans and families of the victims (in black & white no less) who tragically passed-away during his ritual...umm, I mean concert a few days ago. He's like "Oops!" In the video he keep putting his hand to his forehead, just like Ice Cream Kid, over and over. He just forgot the ice cream cone. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment