Thursday, May 2, 2024

The Road Not Taken

I've told bits and pieces of this story before, but for many years, except for a few very close friends, I never said anything about it, on the slim chance that it might make it back to someone who wouldn't be happy to learn what had gone on behind his back. It wouldn't be fun for anyone in any situation, but in a band situation especially, it could cause problems. 

 Back in the Bud Greene days we'd just signed on do some gigs opening for another band that had a bigger following that we did at the time, although we were quickly catching up. This is still relevant, to me anyway, because they're still playing, and they're huge. They've toured the globe (or flat Earth, if you prefer) many times, and if you've never heard of them I can almost guarantee you know someone who has.

 The main difference in our band and theirs was that they'd been together at least a year longer, so they had a bigger fan base. Other than that we both covered a lot of Grateful Dead and R&B, and played some originals. We shared quite a few of the same fans. In the "It's a small world" department, their keyboard player used to sit-in with us long before he had thoughts of playing with them.

 Music isn't a sport or a contest, but I thought we were a better band in some ways. I thought our choice of cover tunes was a little more interesting, and they started doing some of the covers we did; I thought our originals were more interesting and I thought we played with a good bit more energy and groove. A lot of our shared fans felt the same way, although they loved both bands. Our fans were incredible, and I know all bands say that, but many of them I knew as friends already, and some would become lifelong friends, and they're some exceptional human beings. 

Although the story is completely different now, and their drummer worked very hard and is now an excellent player, at the time I also felt that he was the weak link in the chain. Apparently the band did too, because after we opened the first show for them, they took me aside and offered me the gig. I was taken aback, and assumed that he was leaving the band, although I couldn't imagine why. They were trending upward, had a loyal fan base and were making excellent money.

 I don't remember which two band members took me aside, because I never knew any of them except for the keyboard player, who's a great guy and was fun to hang out with, but I asked them if he was leaving and they said no. They were going to replace him. I didn't even pause. I said something like "I'm really honored guys, but I can't accept," and that was that. 

 That's bad Karma, and it's just not right, in my book anyway. I knew that if I accepted, the money I was making would almost triple, but that didn't matter. A band is only as good as its drummer, and I knew I could fit in without much trouble, and have a very good time, plus I was already friends with the keyboard player, but I couldn't do that to the guy, even though I didn't know him from Adam, and still don't. He'd have been devastated, as I would've been if I'd been in his shoes. 

 To be fair there were other considerations why I might not take the gig, if I'd been someone who didn't care about taking a guy's gig. Like I said I thought we were a bit better in some ways, and I knew it was just a matter of time before we caught up to them in the number of fans, and in fact opening up for them exposed us to a lot more people. Plus I didn't want to hurt my guys either. Not that they couldn't have replaced me with a better drummer, but I think they were happy enough with my playing, plus they were my buds. We were also trending upward, and quickly.

 Obviously it was a huge fork in the road for me, and sometimes I wonder what would've happened if I'd accepted their offer. My life would certainly be different that it is now. It'd also have been different had Bud Greene stayed together, but since that didn't happen, I can only go by what I've seen them do, although I don't try to keep up with them, except for the keyboard player here and there. 

 I've never regretted my decision for a second, even when I think about how poor I am, and how money wouldn't have been as much of an issue had I joined the band. They've all got really nice cribs. They're treated like royalty, and famous musicians sit-in with them all the time. I'd certainly have enjoyed that. They've toured the world several times over, and I'd have enjoyed that too. 

 On the other side of the coin, two of the original members have gone on to that Great Gig in the Sky. I don't know the story, but I think drugs may have played a part. Actually one of our biggest fans started following them around after we broke up, and for a year or so I'd hear things through her. She said that they'd gotten to the point that they could have "anything they wanted." I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing or not, but that's where they were, and where I'd have been. 

 A few years back something popped up about the net worth of band members, and they were in the article. It said that they were worth between about $3.5 and maybe $6-million each. That's not mega-Rock Star bank, but it's not bad, and that was several years ago. I'm sure they've added to that total. 

 They're living comfortably, which is all I'd have ever asked of the business, but then there's the thing about a couple of them no longer being with us, and that's a consideration. It didn't really turn out so well for them, but for what it's worth I'm still here. Did I make the right decision? I think so. Rock on. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment