Sunday, December 3, 2023

Another Dimension?

My mom digs old Westerns, and that's what's usually on TV. Last night I was watching a movie on YouTube, with headphones. I wasn't paying attention to the TV, but then out of nowhere I heard a very stern voice that was loud enough to get through the headphones, saying, "Hard drives are not a problem." 

 That statement wouldn't raise an eyebrow these days, but when I looked up to see who said it, I saw this guy, probably named Zeb, making the comment. It didn't compute, and for a second or two (I'm slow) I thought, "What the...have we crossed into another dimension? Have we reached the Big Singularity or whatever it is, where time has become meaningless, and the past, present and future have been thrown into a blender?" 

 Before too long my thinking brain took over from my lizard-brain's "fight or flight" initial response, and I realized that he must be talking about a cattle drive, considering they didn't have PCs and such back then, and the hard drive was over a century away. I got a laugh out of it, and I was very relieved that Time was still safe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment