Monday, September 2, 2024

The Lake Loon Chronicles: Heron Update

Last night I took my dog for a walk and another heron flew by. I don't know if it's the same one that buzzed us the other night or not, but they're territorial so it very well could've been. It only flew by once instead of buzzing us the way it did the other night. 

 It took Bert by surprise the other night because he'd never seen or heard a heron up close. He froze in place and kept looking at me for an explanation. It wasn't the same story last night. As soon as he heard the heron's cry he started barking loudly. He was giving him what for. He'd filed that sound in his memory banks, and this time he was ready for it. 

 It was as if he was saying: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice and I'm going to bark." I had to laugh both times. The difference in his reactions was pretty noticeable. That dog is a piece of work. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment