Sunday, September 8, 2024

The Lake Loon Chronicles: Duck Info

I'm an info junkie and a big fan of interesting animals. Today I got the story on the duck who lives next door. All I knew was that the duck is a badass and is boss of the lake out here. 

 I had my second conversation with the couple who adopted the duck and who feed it. They're some of the sweetest people I've ever met in my life. They told me that the duck's name is Daphne. How cool. They said that they moved here 14 years ago and she was already here. They started feeding her so that's where she's been hanging out. Daphne is one of the most interesting neighbors I've had in quite some time. 

 Certain animals have a vibe that's larger than life, and Daphne is one of them. I noticed that the first time I saw her, although I was calling her "he" at the time. When I saw my dog barking at her from 15' away and she didn't even flinch i knew she was a badass. Talking to her adoptive parents confirmed it.

 They agreed that she's a force of Nature. I  wouldn't have guessed that a duck's lifespan was 14 years but what do I know? Today I watched her swim across the lake with considerable speed, like she was on a mission. She hung out in a neighbor's yard, hunting grubs maybe, until I got tired of waiting for her to swim back. There are 4' Alligator Gars in the lake but she apparently has the right of way. Impressive. 

 I vibe out on interesting animals all the time but this duck is something special. I know I'm simple-minded and an animal lover, but that's how it is, and I know an extraordinary animal when I see one. No one can argue that. 

 Here I'm is...out in the boonies and deep-ass in Nature...which is exactly where I need to be at this particular time, and my neighbor is a duck named Daphne...why not? Then there are the humans who adopted her, who are some of the best neighbors I've ever had. God is good. Daphne the duck for a next door neighbor...who'd have thunk it? I don't care if I'm retarded...I can dig it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment