Saturday, July 20, 2024

Slow Moving Meteor

I was looking at Venus at around 5am this morning and I saw a slowly-moving meteor. It was white, had no tail and lasted about ten seconds, although it only travelled about a relative hand's length across the sky. I saw it appear and disappear, and for a couple of seconds it got brighter and a little bigger than Venus.

 I've seen thousands of meteors. I've seen spectacular fireballs in every color that transversed the entire sky and made me gasp, but to see one moving so very slowly is at least as intense. It's only been within the last decade that we've seen them move so slowly. No matter how big they are or how long they last, most meteors we see are hauling ass, and to see one creeping across the sky is breathtaking.

 If my guys are right, and they have been for many years, then we're going to see a sky-show before it's all said and done. Heads-up.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment