Saturday, May 7, 2022

Discovering Nature

Day before yesterday my friend Greg and I went to a place called Moss Rock Preserve. This is an underwater view from Moss Rock Creek, from a video I took. I haven't been in the woods an ages, and Moss Rock is a strikingly-beautiful place. I knew I'd have a great time, but I also knew that I'd experience something profound, and I did. 

 As we were standing by the creek, a group of six young ladies walked up and started talking to us. They were high-school age, ages 15-18 I'd say. I noticed a very strange look on one of the younger girl's face. It was a look of wonder, surprise, happiness and also some slight trepidation. I wondered what the deal was.

 Then another girl said that it was the younger girl's very first time to be out in "Nature." I just did manage to stop the words "Holy shit" from coming out of my mouth, and immediately went into "welcoming/education mode. She was staring at the creek with her mouth hanging open, as if she'd never seen one before, which incredibly may have been the case. I was gobsmacked.

 "Are there fish in here?" she asked. Again I had to stop myself from laughing. "Oh yes" I said. I pointed to a school of minnows, but she couldn't see them at first. To be fair they do blend-in, especially to city folk. She still couldn't see them, so I told her to focus on a big flat rock that was lighter in color than the surrounding rocks, and she finally saw the fish swim by. "Ooh!" she cried with delight. I almost burst into tears. It was heavy. 

 To see her actually discovering Nature for the very first time was something I was thrilled to share with her. She asked questions about this and that, and I answered as best I could. It was a joy to increase her interest, and without overselling it, I tried to at least plant a seed in her that Nature is cool, and she should dang-sure start enjoying it occasionally. I prayed that God would nurture that seed, and I know He will. 

 As I set up my camera for an underwater video, they walked on ahead, to the waterfall. After a few minutes we followed and stopped at the base of the "falls," which might actually be termed "cascade." The water mostly flows over massive rocks, rather than falling. It's beautiful. The girls were up ahead at the top of the falls, waving down to us. It would've made an excellent photo, but my camera was underwater at the time. Our new "Nature Girl" was grinning ear-to-ear. She was feeling it. 

 I know to never doubt my "Little Voice," so I knew something profound was going to happen, but I couldn't have imagined what took place. I hope that seed I planted in her will grow big. It was heavy. God bless you, New Nature Sister. Happy Trails!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment