Monday, October 15, 2018

Pink

I've seen pink cars before but this one takes the cake. That would be a little girl's birthday cake with pink icing. As if it weren't pink enough, there's a subtle but gorgeous rainbow metalflake job in the finish. I doubt it's factory but it's a high-end paint job. It may be a custom ride altogether because I didn't notice a brand name. It did have a name but I can't remember it. Hopefully I'll see it again. I'd like to get a closer pic of the finish.
 The first thing I thought of when I saw this, besides "pink," was Jerry Nolan; the drummer for the legendary Proto-Punk (IMHO) band The New York Dolls. He talked the Ludwig Drum Company into making him a pink drum kit. I don't remember all of the details but I know it caused quite a stir in everyone from Ludwig ("Jerry wants a PINK kit?") to the press ("Does this mean he's GAY?") to the audience. Photographers jumped all over it and you can find some iconic photos if you're interested. I'm pretty sure he was the first Rock drummer to use a pink kit, although there was another guy who's name I can't remember who had the Phibes Company build him a pink kit out of acrylic at around the same time I think. He really upped the ante having them pink and clear, and if I'm not mistaken he'd play naked sometimes. With clear drums and clear drum heads I suppose you could see his mallet through the kit if you looked from the right angle.
 My next thought was about that cosmetic company that I think was called Mary Kay. They used to give pink Caddies to select salespeople. I remember seeing ladies drive those monstrous things around with the biggest shit-eating grins you ever saw. They loved those things. My mind was just wandering and still a little taken aback by all the pink, and I half-wondered if this might be a modern version of that, but the mag wheels spoke otherwise, and I doubted that Mary Kay would spring for such an expensive paint job. Not to be sexist or anything but it also occurred to me that very few ladies would opt for black mags on a pink car. That's mostly a guy thing. And then I had a moment of serious comic relief.
 A pink car with black mags. Hmm...with men wearing skirts, high heels and feminine-style makeup and shit like they've lopped off their dicks or something, I wondered if this might be a flagship car for a new line of men's makeup...Barry Kay. I laughed so hard my dog looked up at me. I sure hope the owner didn't hear it and think I was laughing at the car, because actually it was pretty bitchin' and you have to respect such a fine paint job on anything. BTW this isn't "hate speech" since I don't hate anyone. I sure did get a good laugh out of it. Barry Kay...that's funny. Sometimes I crack myself up.

No comments:

Post a Comment