Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Life with a Narcissist: A Real-Life Horror Movie

 Unless someone has the misfortune to have had a personal relationship with a narcissist they could never understand what it's like or comprehend the pure evil and depravity that is the world these people live in. You just can't get your head around it, and that's a good thing. It means you're human. Narcissists aren't completely human.

 Unless someone knew you well enough to know that you weren't prone to making up wild stories or hallucinations and such, they'd never believe stories about the evil things narcissists do. Trying to share an experience is subjective anyway, but what I can do is relate a creepy story. It still gives me chills. 

 One night around 1am I went out for a smoke. My ex was sleeping on the sofa. She was way asleep and snoring like a 350lb lumberjack. I always wondered how a smallish woman could sound like a Harley idling but she did. Through all the lies and bullshit there was one thing I knew and that was when she was asleep, and she had to work that day. She'd set her alarm 45 minutes early and hit snooze ten times before finally getting up, usually grumbling and groaning. She wasn't an up-and-at-'em person in the morning. 

 The reason I'm talking about this is that I just saw a video about someone having nightmares after a relationship with a narcissist and it really hit home. Plus like most people who've suffered at the hands of these demons, if I can possibly help someone else, even a stranger, avoid what happened to me, I'm all over it. Plus it's a crazy story. Maybe you had to be there but it tripped me out. Speaking of others, I've heard other victims say that their ex-girlfriends snored like grizzly bears, and speaking of sleep, we all ask the universal question: with all the evil things narcissists do, how do they sleep? Well, sleep they do, although it's sometimes tortured. Many times I saw my ex thrashing about in her sleep, talking incoherently and lashing out with her arms as if she were fighting off something terrible. I think it was demons. 

 Anyway I walked past her and saw that she was asleep. It probably took all of seven seconds to walk into the next room, sit down and open my laptop. Something startled me and I looked up and she was standing motionless and silent in the room, and she was grinning at me. I almost shat my britches it scared me so bad. How the fuck did she get there so fast? It wasn't normal. My hair was standing up and I said "What's going on?" "Oh I just wanted to see how you were doing." "Right." That wasn't normal either. In fact it was bullshit. She didn't give a fuck how I was doing and hadn't even pretended to for a long time. She did care that she'd really fucked me up but good, and she was enjoying every second of it. She didn't say another word. She just smiled and stood there for a few seconds and then turned and walked out. Fuck me, that was spooky.

 I've seen most of the old classics but as a rule I don't watch horror movies and I haven't seen one in years. That shit stays in your head forever. I have seen quite a few videos that show clips from horror-movie trailers, and there's an effect that fans of the genre will instantly recognize. They'll show a scary girl in a nightgown moving across a room, only she's standing still and her feet don't move. It's basically a stop-motion thing and she sort of scoots across the room with a blur behind her to indicate motion. It's creepy as fuck and seeing my ex basically bolt out of a dead sleep and seemingly materialize right in front of me reminded me of that. I hope it never happens again. 

 I realize it might not sound like a big deal, or maybe I wasn't keeping track of time, but no, it happened and it scared the shit out of me. It was just one of many, many things I saw that simply defied the normal ways of how things work. For someone who normally couldn't pop out of bed if her life depended on it, in just a few seconds to be able to wake up from a deep sleep, get out from under the covers, work her way around a big chest she put in front of the sofa to block out the morning sun, work her way around another sofa and walk down the hall and into the room and be standing there motionless...things just don't work like that. I say a demon jerked her ass up out of bed like a puppet and scooted her into the room just like in the movies, but what do I know? I guess you'll have to take my word for it, but it wasn't normal. It was quite fucked-up in fact. 

 While I'm on the subject of creepy shit that happened with my ex I might as well share this story too. It's a doozie. I'll preface this by saying that while to her great credit she finally quit drinking, she was still taking a wide variety of other substances. I'll have to say here that I grew up in the music biz and spent over 15 years in the restaurant biz, and if anyone's been around people who imbibe it's me, and in all my life I never met anyone, pound-for-pound, who could drink more or do larger quantities of substances than she could. Not only could she snore like a biker but she could out-drink any I ever met. I mean send 'em home cryin' to mama getting out-drunk. I have my theory on why that is but I'll save it.

 She got way into magic mushrooms. At first it was just the weekends, then a few nights a week and finally several times daily. She started doing them before work, which I couldn't believe. I'd even catch her doing them at 11:30pm, when she had to go to work the next day. She claimed it was "micro-dosing" but the amount she was taking was a lot more than that. She said it made things "all sparkly" (I bet it did) but she never really gave a reason why she decided to take psychedelic mushrooms every day, but then again she never bothered to explain any of the wretched shit she did except to say "Get over it!" Micro-dosing is legit and it's one thing, but dosing repeatedly every day can lead to psychosis, and sometimes in a short period of time. When this event took place she'd been dosing without missing a day for three months straight. I was almost waiting for her to lose it, and it happened. 

 One evening after dinner she was watching TV in the den and I was in another room on the computer. I walked into the room on my way out to have a puff and look at the Moon. Everything was normal for literally half a second, and what happened next was such a blur that I can't believe I even saw it, and I probably can't tell it in the exact order it happened because it all happened at once, and in the blink of a eye. Humans usually don't move that quickly and I'm not kidding. She was sitting on the sofa and suddenly she let out a horrid sound. She was trying to scream but she couldn't catch her breath. It didn't sound human.

 She was looking in absolute terror toward the side of the room where my dog was sitting. I mentioned the chest she'd put by the sofa. It was at least 5' tall and there was a lamp perched way up on top of it. It almost touched the ceiling. I was looking right at her and I still can't work out how she had the strength or whatever to be able to do what she did, and it literally happened too fast for my brain to follow. As she screamed my dog reacted and let out a horrible sound that I'd never heard him make before either. At first I thought he'd hurt himself somehow and that she was reacting to that and I froze in terror for a second but then I checked him out and thank God he was okay. My ex wasn't. 

 Right after they both screamed, from a sitting position she popped straight up in the air, somehow managing to grab the lamp and slam it into the wall. She slammed it with so much force that the shade came off and the bulb hit the wall and exploded with a bang and an intense flash. I've seen plenty of incandescent bulbs explode but those fluorescent bulbs are a completely different story. I realize that they're not meant to be violently slammed into a wall  but I find it a bit hard to believe they were allowed to come to market. Should you ever happen to slam one into a wall you'll see what I mean. 

 In a literal nanosecond she'd screamed, shot straight up almost to the ceiling, slammed a lamp into a wall and scared the absolute fuck out of me and my dog. One half-second she'd been calmly sitting down and the next she was standing bolt-upright with a smashed lamp and glass all over the place. I can't explain it and I know this will probably sound whack but for an instant it felt strongly as if something else was there...an energy or a presence. I know Adrenaline had something to do with her superhuman speed; I've experienced it myself after I went over a cliff and rolled a car and thought it might blow up like in the movies and I scrambled up a wet, slick cliff that was almost a straight drop, with my arms and legs basically spinning like a cartoon character, but it didn't kick in like that. I don't know, but it was way weirder than I could ever tell it. And it wasn't over.

 I thought at first that maybe a snake had crawled in from the woods and had scared her, but she was staring in absolute terror to the side of the room, but she wasn't looking at the dog. She was looking at the aquarium. "Uh-oh, here we go" I thought. She was frozen. I stood there for a second trying to take in what I'd already seen, but finally I asked if she was okay. "Can you hear that?" she said. "Oh, shit" I thought. "Hear what?" I asked. "Listen" she said. "I don't hear anything" I said. "You don't hear that?" she said. "Hear what?" "Listen!" she said again. "Oh, shit" I thought again. She was staring in horror at a fish tank. 

 It was a little ten-gallon tank I'd set up with sand, rocks, plants and a pretty mussel shell from the nearby river. I found a tiny clam and a tiny mussel, less than half an inch long each, and they were buried under the sand doing their thing but out of sight. To be fair, and what could have been a possible trigger, was that I'd managed to catch a strange aquatic insect that looks like a stick bug, and I put it in the tank to have a better look at it. I assured her that it didn't do well on land and that there was a deep lip around the top of the tank and it couldn't climb out if it wanted to, but it absolutely terrified her so I took it back down to the river. 

 She kept asking me if I heard the sound and I kept saying no. She jumped up and turned the TV off. "Do you hear it now? she repeated. "No. What does it sound like?" She thought for a moment and said that it was like a moan, a growl and a screech. "Yikes" I thought. I heard nothing. I asked again about the sound so she tried to mimic it. She made a sound that started out like a frog croaking and then went into a growl and finally a wail, like "ErrrrrrrrrohhhhhahhhHHHH!" I didn't say anything but I guess my silence told her I didn't hear the sound. She instantly regained her composure, like flipping a switch, and never said another word about it. She basically acted like it never happened. But it did. 

 Narcissists are incredibly good at faking things but even they can't fake a look of pure fear. Her mind seemed to have short-circuited to the point that she couldn't understand that there wasn't anything in the tank that could possibly make any sound, much less get it from the tank into the room, especially as loud as it apparently was to her. The baby clam and mussel couldn't raise a thousandth of a decibel between them, and they were buried under the sand. She'd been sitting perfectly still, looking in horror into an aquarium with basically nothing in it. What was she seeing? Was it an invisible underwater river demonfish? Maybe so. What the fuck was she hearing? Damn, I don't know but I do know I'm very glad I wasn't hearing it too. 

 Most people would say it was just the shrooms, and understandably so, but knowing what I know about this disorder, I say it goes deeper than that but I won't elaborate. I've seen people on bad acid trips and babysat more than one "It's okay...you'll be fine in a few hours (pat pat pat)." I've see people scared out of their minds and startled shitless and everything else, but I've never seen anything so bizarre as that. Well actually it's in my Top-5 weirdest things, and that's saying a lot. Between her rising from a dead sleep and appearing in another room with a grin on her face in a matter of seconds, and seeing her pop up so fast and so high and so violently, leads me to a conclusion that will probably sound loony, at least to those who've never experienced these people, but I say a demon, and a powerful one, jerked her ass up like a puppet. A grinning, satanic puppet. What I say. Have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment